The Creative Education Foundation, Zanzibar

To work towards sustainability, and eventually take fee paying students  who will subsidize places of sponsored students, we need to invest in training of our local teachers. By raising teaching standards our school will hopefully then successfully compete with private schools, and then we can aim to have a mixture of non-fee paying children from low income backgrounds and full-fee paying students, never to be more than even in ratio - nobody is more privileged than another in our world. Eventually, we hope the fee payers will support the education of the disadvantaged as we strive for a good financial and social mix so that our students all learn from each other.

Government Education in Zanzibar

In the Kiswahili culture, an orphan is defined as a child without a father, since fathers are the likely providers in a family, especially among the low income, where manual labour is likely to be the only means of income generation. Widows are often left with many children, struggling to get food on the table, and have no access to quality education for their children. Most of our students would have no option than to attend local government schools where classes can reach 140 students, and teachers have few resources and little time or energy for quality teaching and individual attention. In Zanzibar, most students enter Grade One with nil or very little basic literacy or numeracy skills, and will never receive the individual attention they need to catch up. The Zanzibar government delivers primary education in Kiswahili, and then there is a dramatic shift to an English-based curriculum in High School. With under-resourced Primary Schools, the common result is that students enter high school with inadequate preparation in English, numeracy and literacy to be able to succeed in high school. The mass result of this is that most students fail or drop out of school early, and only a minority manages to succeed and stay in school. By Form Two, the current retention rate in public schools in Zanzibar is only 53%, leaving the other 47% of students exiting the education system early to a lifetime of dependency, unemployment, or low skilled labour at best.

A Real Chance

At CEF Zanzibar, every child has the chance to flourish as they are guided in small groups by their local teacher who is also being guided by their own mentors - we believe we are all in a process of lifelong learning and continual improvement. Our commitment is to nurture every child at each stage of their development will help them to grow into well rounded adults able to bring about change for the good within their communities and environment. 

The sad truth in Zanzibar, is that only a minority of students will pass at school, and the majority will fail. CEFZ can change this for some children and give them a real chance of succeeding in Life.

Striving Towards Sustainability

CEF School is focused on providing education alternative to the most disadvantaged children in Zanzibar's over-crowded government schools.

Children already enrolled in a government school, or with older siblings in a government school are eligible for placement. From these applicants, we prefer to offer places to orphan students, and then each students' living situation is assessed by a home visit from one of our team. In this way we ensure we take the most needy.